Thursday, December 8, 2016

Course Reflection

Final Reflection

This class has brought an actual practice to all the concepts I have talked about in other classes, it felt like a job on days that we got to practice shots in class when I got to be a grip or gaffer. It made me notice that I actually like the other jobs on set that I believed would be more simple and boring. Gaffer is what I had the most fun with by trying to find creative ways of using and blocking light while being efficient and safely.

On our viewing day, a fellow classmate talked about how taking this class made them feel like they talked another language now; which feels very true because I use so many more film terms now to describe what I’ve done in the past and what I plan to do with future projects.  I would definitely recommend this class, even to people that are focused on editing because it gives perspective on how much work and difficulty goes into producing footage for post-production.

Over all the best part of the course is working with other on group projects.  As an editor, I’ve grown comfortable sitting in front of a computer for long hours just reviewing tons of footage and I felt the reliance on others was going to be troublesome to get some projects done.  But it was nice to become a team and try to figure out how to deal with unplanned problems with improvisations.


I still want to focus my time on becoming an editor but I now have such a higher appreciation the other jobs in the whole filming process.  I’ve invested in a DSLR camera to continue this kind of work with as a personal hobby that could become an addition to my own work that I do as an editor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment